Pages

Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Fully Enjoying the Seaon Day 26

Week Four - Christmas Bliss

26 Lighting Up Your Neighborhood

This is an area that we are sorely lacking in any degree of excellence. If I muster up the energy, from time to time over the years, I have thrown some lights onto the bushes up front. When we bought our first home, dear hubby and I strung up icicle lights. They look gorgeous but are a pain in the but. So they take up a whole bin taking up more room in our garage even now.

I do go to great lengths to make sure our trees are in the windows so as to be seen from the road...and I also light garland in the windows or above the trees so it's quite spectacular. I really do have a desire for lighting up the outside better, but alas, little know how and no plan means probably another year of random lights thrown over a bush...

I think I need to work on this.

One of my favourite scenes in Chevy Chase's Christmas Vacation is the lighting up the house scene - when they blow the fuse and power in the whole neighbourhood... awesome. Maybe this is why I am afeared of the lights dilemma.

Also, it gets really cold in Canada, and if you don't have em up in October, you gonna be COLD trying to do it.

And finally, I still have a hard time figuring out how to make it LOOK good. My house is big and wooden and would require serious wattage and effort to make it look right... sigh.

At least we can go for a ten minute drive and enjoy the Niagara Falls Winter Festival of Lights.

The reason I wanted to post about this though, is because there are other ways to "light" up your neighbourhood. Why not take a tin of christmas cookies from your baking exchange over to the neighbours, or shovel one of their driveways?


Why not go Christmas Carolling in your neighbourhood (who should Halloween be the only time we knock on our neighbour's door?) Why not leave a Christmas Card?


We can find ways to bring hope and smiles to our neighbourhood and let the Light of Heaven shine in our part of the world even brighter.



Tammara



No comments:

Search This Blog